Store General Manager - Bench
Posted on: September 23, 2022
C ome work at a place where innovation and teamwork come
together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
Position OverviewThe General Manager is responsible for leading
through Petcos vision of Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better
World. in order to develop a high-performing team that consistently
delivers top-line sales growth while maintaining a focus on the
welfare, health, and proper care of all animals. The GM leads a
team Pet Care Center managers, leaders and partners and is
accountable for all aspects of managing a single Pet Care Center.
The General Manager drives their business through a focus on people
(talent acquisition, training, and development), performance (guest
service, sales, and expense control), and process (standard
operating procedures and policies), which will result in overall
profitability. This position requires a passion for pets, ability
to inspire and lead a team, focus on process excellence, a drive
for results.Position Responsibilities The GM regularly exercises
discretion and independent judgment as they execute all Pet Care
Center activity to create the best possible partner, guest, and pet
experience. As a leader of people & pet care, the GM should execute
all tasks skillfully and consistently. To perform this job
successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential
job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential
- Build a team that embodies the Petco brand by delivering
exceptional service and driving guest loyalty.
- Attract, hire, and retain a diverse team of top talent.
- Train, coach, and develop leaders and hourly Pet Care Center
partners in all areas and functions required to run the store
efficiently and to Petco standards, including the effective rollout
- Create a professional environment that inspires and encourages
the growth and engagement of partners.
- Lead and implement a positive culture of teamwork, inclusion
and collaborate by working alongside the team, establishing
priorities, and provide clear direction.
- Ensure quick and courteous service to all Petco guests by
helping partners determine the guests needs and by sharing product
knowledge with partners to enable them to suggest the appropriate
solutions to meet the customers needs.
- Responsible for all partner performance management in the Pet
- Demonstrate and support a continuous improvement and growth
- Meet or exceed goals related to totals Pet Care Center sales,
profitability, and operational excellence.
- Schedule and adjust labor hours & payroll to maximize
productivity, achieve sales & payroll goals, and complete
- Review and interpret financial and operational reporting
regularly, including Pet Care Center visits and audit results.
- Identify underperforming metrics and develop strategies that
leverage Petco programs, tools, and resources to improve and grow
- Market the Pet Care Center and its products, oversee planning
of on site and community events, such as adoptions, school visits
and other local promotions and animal-welfare events.Process
- Ensures the proper health, appearance, welfare, and proper
handling of all animals.
- Ensures merchandise is properly priced, displayed and stocked
according to inventory levels appropriate for the store; make
merchandising decisions with consideration of visual standards,
special ad set-up and monthly ad planner guidelines, adjusting
these as necessary to best implement in each individual store.
- Completes and submits accounting, inventory management and
payroll paperwork in a timely manner; ensures all expenses are
maintained within budgeted levels.
- Maintains the Pet Care Center's appearance adheres to Petco
operational standards and safety procedures.
- Protect Petco pets & merchandise and minimize loss by ensuring
all Pet Care Center standards and operating procedures are met,
including workplace safety, inventory control, and loss
- Ensures Pet Care Center is opened/closed in accordance with
policies and procedures, especially those relating to safety and
- Responsible to maintain the Pet Care Centers professional
image, appearance, and cleanliness.Other Essential Duties
- MODEL INSPIRING LEADERSHIP. Model leadership and selling
behaviors to Pet Care Center partners and associates. Provide
proactive leadership to maintain a positive business climate that
motivates Pet Care Center teams in alignment with our company
goals. Serve as an effective advocate for change and growth.
- PROMOTE SAFETY . Ensure Petco policies, procedures and safety
standards are closely observed and executed, and all new policies
and procedures are properly implemented in the Pet Care Center .
Bottom line, the safety of partners, guests and pets is our #1
- FOSTER A COLLABORATIVE CULTURE. Establish and promote a culture
that encourages partners to seek and formulate ideas and
opportunities that increase efficiency and that improve guest
engagement, guest satisfaction and company image. Ensure a culture
that values and promotes teamwork.
- PRIORITIZE TALENT DEVELOPMENT. Ensure a strong talent bench
with partners who can successfully execute the companys plans, meet
objectives, and manage an engaged workforce. Ensure continuation of
excellence in Petcos partners through developmental programs and
leadership opportunities. Actively pursue the development of bench
strength through internal training and external recruitment.
- ENGAGE AND BE PRESENT. Represent Petcos brand and image at a
high level through strong culture and positive leadership. Lead our
team in a way that is committed to high standards within a fun
working environment.Education and Experience
- In addition to a high school diploma or its equivalent (GED),
an applicant must be able to demonstrate proficiency in the areas
of basic business & finance acumen, analysis and problem-solving
skills, and high focus on people development & guest service.
- Excellence in communication and computer skills are also
- Three or more years of management experience or the equivalent
is required, while previous retail management experience is
- A working knowledge of general business practices is highly
desirable, as are strong organizational skills.
- A qualified applicant will possess an aptitude for
demonstrating strong customer service and the ability to instruct
others. In addition to having a professional appearance and
demeanor, the applicant must also demonstrate a keen and genuine
interest in all kinds of animals.
- Must be licensed to operate a motor vehicle. Completion of
specific PETCO Management Achievement Program Modules as well as
internal management roles may be required for internal
candidates.Supervisory ResponsibilityThe General Manager directly
supervises a team of leaders and is responsible for all Pet Care
Center partners including services.Work EnvironmentThe majority of
job duties are conducted indoors, although occasional merchandise
stocking, customer carry-outs, and bank deposits will require that
an employee leave the Pet Care Center briefly. Because this
position requires bending, kneeling, moving merchandise (up to 50
pounds, as necessary) and standing for long periods of time, there
may be risk of injury resulting from failure to follow safety
precautions and procedures. A limited amount of travel will be
required.Contacts This position has continuous contact with the
general public at the Pet Care Center and at Pet Care Center
-related events, and regular contact and exchange of information
with other departments in the field, Distribution Centers, and at
the Support Centers. Contact outside of PETCO may be required in
order to coordinate merchandise returns, ordering parts, Pet Care
Center repairs, coordination of vaccination clinics, Pet Care
Center events, vendor meetings, etc.Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is
an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other
Keywords: Petco, Riverside , Store General Manager - Bench, Executive , Riverside, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!