Agricultural Specialist I - Biocontrol
Company: Cooperative Agricultural Support Services
Posted on: May 3, 2021
POSITION TITLE: Agricultural Specialist I
DEPARTMENT: Citrus Program - Biocontrol
REPORTS TO: Program Lead
FLSA STATUS: Full-time, Temporary, Non-Exempt
COMPENSATION: $15.69 Hr. Pay Rate
The Cooperative Agricultural Support Services (CASS) is a Joint
Powers Authority that was originally formed as a partnership
between the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA)
and the Counties of Yolo and Trinity. Since then CASS' services
have expanded throughout California to support the agricultural
industry and the consumers of its products by providing human
resources and administrative support services. CASS' program
activities include agricultural inspection, pest prevention and
other programs administered by CDFA, county agricultural
commissioners, and other public agencies. Our current work
- Agricultural Commodity Grading Program
- Grading using County, State and Federal standards
- Emergency Pest Detection Trapping and Survey program
- Professional Develop and Educational Training
We are seeking an enthusiastic Agricultural Specialist I to join
our Citrus Program Team. This position reports directly to the
Under the close direction from CASS staff and technical
direction from Citrus Program, the Agricultural Specialist I
participate in carrying out Asian Citrus Psyllid (ACP) biological
control activities for the ACP Program by rearing and releasing
biocontrol agents in support of plant pest detection programs.. The
incumbent in this position provides program support by performing a
variety plant pest field work while conforming to federal, state,
Citrus Program and CASS policies in carrying out work
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Under direct supervision, propagates, and maintains plants,
cultures insects, and assists with routine greenhouse
- Accurately documents and compiles completed work.
- Assists in management of data.
- Sets ups field cages, monitors insect populations in cages and
- vegetation, releases biocontrol agents into cages.
- Safely operates and maintains a motor vehicle to travel to
designated work areas.
- Follows established protocols for trapping, survey or
- Cleans, repairs, and stores all equipment daily.
- Assists with laboratory duties.
- Cleans work areas.
- Assists in organizing supplies and equipment for coordination
- Miscellaneous duties that provide project support.
- Briefly answer questions about survey and pest detection
projects and/or refer the questioner to the appropriate individual
- Interact with the public in a courteous and professional
- Assist with the transport of vehicles to service or storage
facilities. Perform daily vehicle safety and fluid level checks.
Clean vehicle interior and truck bed of debris.
- Clean, repair and store all equipment daily. Notify team lead
or supervisor when equipment needs repair or replacement.
- Attendance, punctuality, and dependability are essential to
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma, Batchelors in Biloical Sciences,
Environmental Science or related field preffered.
- Ability to adapt to a flexible work environment
- Self-Starter and proactive
- Excellent Oral and Written Communication skills
- Excellent Time Management and Organizational skills
- This position requires travel, including overnight and extended
- Assumes responsibility for doing assigned work and meeting
- Demonstrates an awareness of and sensitivity to clients
including cultural and ethical beliefs; and implements care in a
thorough, skillful, consistent, and continuous manner.
- Attends work regularly and adheres to policies and procedures
regarding absences and tardiness. Provides adequate notice to
supervisor with respect to time-off requests.
- Performs other duties, as necessary.
- Viewed by others to be an effective team member who is
flexible, cooperative, and willing to assist others, and acts as a
resource to team members and clients where appropriate.
- Tactfully handles conflicts constructively and seeks
appropriate assistance and directive when necessary.
- Develops and maintains cooperative and courteous relationships
with co-workers, supervisor, and agency clients.
- Full-time, Non-Exempt - Temporary
- $15.69 Hr. Pay Rate
- Benefits package including medical benefits, matching
retirement contributions, and annual and holiday leave.
- Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will
be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal
and state laws.
The incumbent in this position will be required, with or without
reasonable accommodation, to operate a desktop computer using a
keyboard and mouse; employ repetitive arm and wrist motions;
occasionally bend, stoop, twist, reach; and, lift file or supply
boxes of up to twenty-five pounds.
Cooperative Agricultural Support Services is an equal
opportunity employer committed to a diverse, welcoming, and
inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race color, religion, national origin,
ancestry, age, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy),
gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, parental
status, disability, veteran status, or any other protected
Keywords: Cooperative Agricultural Support Services, Riverside , Agricultural Specialist I - Biocontrol, Other , Riverside, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!