Laboratory Technologist I
Company: Cooperative Agricultural Support Services
Posted on: June 6, 2021
POSITION TITLE: Laboratory Technologist I
DEPARTMENT: Citrus Research Board
LOCATION: Riverside, CA
REPORTS TO: Laboratory Manager/Laboratory Director
FLSA STATUS: Full-time, Temporary, Non-Exempt
COMPENSATION: $20.30 Hr. Pay Rate
The Cooperative Agricultural Support Services (CASS) is a Joint
Powers Authority that was originally formed as a partnership
between the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA)
and the Counties of Yolo and Trinity. Since then CASS' services
have expanded throughout California to support the agricultural
industry and the consumers of its products by providing human
resources and administrative support services. CASS' program
activities include agricultural inspection, pest prevention and
other programs administered by CDFA, county agricultural
commissioners, and other public agencies. Our current work
- Agricultural Commodity Grading Program
- Grading using County, State and Federal standards
- Emergency Pest Detection Trapping and Survey program
- Professional Develop and Educational Training
We are seeking an enthusiastic Laboratory Technologist I to join
our Citrus Research Board Program Team. This position reports
directly to the Laboratory Manager and Laboratory Manager.
Under the close direction from CASS staff and technical
direction from Citrus Research Board, the Laboratory Technologist I
performs plant and insect molecular diagnostic testing for the
California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA). Performs high
throughput molecular diagnostics on plant and insect samples
according to established standard operating procedures, protocols
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Report to the laboratory manager or the laboratory director for
- Take leading roles in diagnostic sample processing
- Receive and log in samples
- Load insect and plant samples onto DNA extraction plates
- Perform DNA extraction
- Perform detailed qPCR based assays to detect HLB-associated
bacteria in prepared DNA samples
- Analyze testing results and prepare report
- Participate in testing method optimization and improvement
- Participate in and maintain USDA APHIS HLB Proficiency when
- Assist the Laboratory Manager in performing instrument
maintenance and the Quality Manager in quality management
- Participate in lab & office clean up and maintenance
- Clean, repair and store all equipment daily. Notify team lead
or supervisor when equipment needs repair or replacement.
- Attendance, punctuality, and dependability are essential to
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's Degree in molecular biology, plant pathology,
entomology, or related field
- Ability to adapt to a flexible work environment
- Excellent aseptic skills
- Experience with MS Office Suite- particularly Excel
- Diagnostic or research laboratory experience (especially using
real time PCR methods and DNA extraction)
- Experience in the detection of plant pathogens in plant tissue
and insect vectors
- Familiarity with general laboratory equipment (pipetters,
biological safety cabinets, centrifuges, tissue homogenizers,
- Laboratory safety including the proper handling of
- Ability to follow and adhere to detailed work instructions,
protocols, policies, etc.
- Self-Starter and proactive
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Assumes responsibility for doing assigned work and meeting
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships.
- Demonstrates an awareness of and sensitivity to clients
including cultural and ethical beliefs; and implements care in a
thorough, skillful, consistent, and continuous manner.
- Attends work regularly and adheres to policies and procedures
regarding absences and tardiness. Provides adequate notice to
supervisor with respect to time-off requests.
- Performs other duties, as necessary.
- Viewed by others to be an effective team member who is
flexible, cooperative, and willing to assist others, and acts as a
resource to team members and clients where appropriate.
- Tactfully handles conflicts constructively and seeks
appropriate assistance and directive when necessary.
- Develops and maintains cooperative and courteous relationships
with co-workers, supervisor, and agency clients.
- Full-time, Non-Exempt - Temporary
- $20.30 Hr. Pay Rate
- Benefits package including medical benefits, matching
retirement contributions, and annual and holiday leave.
- Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will
be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal
and state laws.
The incumbent in this position will be required, with or without
reasonable accommodation, to operate a desktop computer using a
keyboard and mouse; employ repetitive arm and wrist motions;
occasionally bend, stoop, twist, reach; and, lift file or supply
boxes of up to twenty-five pounds.
Cooperative Agricultural Support Services is an equal
opportunity employer committed to a diverse, welcoming, and
inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race color, religion, national origin,
ancestry, age, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy),
gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, parental
status, disability, veteran status, or any other protected
Keywords: Cooperative Agricultural Support Services, Riverside , Laboratory Technologist I, Other , Riverside, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!